Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Jumping on the E-book Bandwagon
By Angela Henry

Okay, I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve been very slow to embrace e-books. As far as I’m concerned, nothing can take the place of holding a book in my hands and flipping through the pages. I love books. And I don’t care if I sound like a nerd for saying this, but browsing through libraries and bookstores looking for good stuff to read, is big fun to me. Always has been and always will be. If you saw my bedroom and all the piles of books on the floor and stacked on every flat surface, you’d know that I’m a woman who can’t live without my books. So, sitting in front of a computer reading anything other than a long news article just doesn’t do it for me. Or at least it didn’t until I recently bought an ipod Touch.

When I got my new ipod last week I went wild downloading all of the cool, free apps I could get my hot little hands on including Stanza, an e-book reader. I figured what the hell, it’s free and all of the hoopla surrounding other e-readers like the Kindle and Sony Reader made me curious. With this in mind I downloaded one of the many free e-books from Stanza’s online catalog, which by the way took less than thirty seconds, and started reading. Guess what? I loved it!

On my ipod screen the e-book looked just like a smaller version of a regular book. All I have to do to flip the page is touch the right side of the screen and it really looks like actual pages are flipping! I don’t have to worry about bookmarking the page I left off on because Stanza remembers it for me. I can even adjust the brightness. And when I was done, I didn’t have to worry about where I was going to put the book, losing it, or damaging it, I just turned off my ipod and put it in my purse.

Will e-books ever take the place of regular books for me? No. But in discovering e-books I feel like I’m enhancing my reading experience, and ensuring that one day I'll be able to see the top of my dresser, and that can only be a good thing ; ).

Later!

1 comments:

rhonda mcknight said...

You know I swore I needed a book in my hands, too, until I got a look at a Kindle in action. I love it. Wish I could afford one. I'd never lug around a book again. Well, except for mine. :o)

New York Times Feed

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

The Crime Sistahs - Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008