During the 2008 Romance Slam Jam, author Donna Hill conducted a workshop titled "How to Promote Your Book." Donna was fantastic; very informative. I especially appreciated the promotion timeframe she shared with us. Basically, don't wait until the book is released to begin marketing. Think about your marketing plan as soon as you turn in your manuscript.
Approximately six to nine months before your release date, answer these questions:
- What's your budget?
- How many promotional tasks do you need to do?
- What promotional things can you afford to do?
- What do you want to do? (e.g., book tours, conferences, bookmarks)
- What reviewers, book clubs, book stores do you want to contact?
Donna also shared the components of an effective Web site, including:
- Author biography
- Blurbs for books
- Cover images
- E-mail address
- Book order information/links
Monday, May 19, 2008